Saturday, May 3, 2014

Love Trumps All

"The best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other." - Dalai Lama

Over the last four months, I have experienced the truth in that quote. As difficult as it has been to live apart during our first year of marriage, I think coming to that realization has made it worth the hardship.

During my first few years of college, Tyler and I saw each other every day and did nearly everything together. While I don't regret that because it helped form the base of our relationship, I came to think I truly needed Tyler to get through the day. I didn't know how I would handle life without him. Over the last few months, I have come to realize that I am a lot stronger than I ever thought I was. I can be independent.

Here's the thing: I don't want to be. I've learned that my love for him exceeds my need for him.

I think that learning this early on in our marriage is going to be important in the years to come. While I don't recommend living two hours right after you get married, I think there's something to be said about maintaining some autonomy in a relationship.

On a lighter note, I thought I would share with you the best parts about having the house to myself:

  • On days I work from home I can get away without showering or changing out of my pajamas
  • There's no one there to complain when I leave my laundry in the basement for days (...weeks)
  • Ice cream for dinner? Why not? 
  • I can sleep with as many pillows as I want without complaint
  • The TV hasn't been tuned into ESPN for months
And the worst parts:
  • Taking out the trash
  • Jumping at every sound and constantly double checking that the doors are locked
  • Cooking for one person
  • Missing my hubs 
This will crazy living situation will be over soon! The countdown is officially on - our big move is coming quickly. I'll have lots to share in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned!





0 comments:

Post a Comment