Thursday, May 1, 2014

Happy Birthday, Somer Dog!

Am I really writing a blog post commemorating my dog's birthday? Yes, I am. And I'm going to tell you why. If you weren't wondering why, and just want to see pictures of a cute puppy, scroll down.

I knew after we got married that I wanted a dog. Tyler, on the other hand, knew that he did not. After a lot of begging, he started to warm up to the idea of looking at dogs - not necessarily bringing one home to live with us.

I took a couple of trips to the Franklin County Animal Shelter. There were so many adorable dogs (if you're looking for a four-legged friend, check them out!), but I just didn't connect with any of them immediately.

I found a purebred yorkie on Craigslist and I was sure he was going to be our new pet. We drove an hour to Zanesville to meet him - he was super cute and playful, and Tyler told me that if I wanted him, we could bring him home. But for some reason, I just didn't feel sure. (I still feel a little bad about that. I hope Boomer found his perfect forever family!)

Three days later, I found Somer Dog (formerly Roxy) on Craigslist. When I called to ask if she was still looking for a new home, the guy told me he had just posted his ad five minutes prior and I was the first one to call.


It was love at first sight. I knew that she was my dog. I had mixed feelings about changing her name, but when Tyler suggested we name her Somer after our first home together (Somerset Square is the complex we live in), I couldn't say no to that. That's when I knew he loved her, too!



Somer has been such a blessing to us during our first year of marriage. I'm not one of those people who thinks my dog is the equivalent of someone else's child, but she has taught Tyler and I to work as a team to balance responsibilities. If one of us has a happy hour after work, the other has to come straight home to take Somer out. If one of us has to go to work early, the other has to take Somer out and feed her before leaving for the day. Also, there was a time when Tyler would gag as he picked up dog poop in the yard. Now he's a pro - and has no excuse for not changing future dirty diapers.



We also never anticipated that we'd be living separately within our first year of marriage. It's going to be worth it, but it has been a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I honestly don't think I could keep it together it wasn't for Somer. She keeps me company, makes me feel safe and gives me a reason to get outside when I'm feeling lonely and just want to lay on the couch and mope. 



I really believe that Somer was meant to be my dog. I think there's a reason that I didn't want to bring that cute little yorkie home. I think there's a reason I was the first one to call about her. I think there's a reason that Tyler finally gave in and let me get a dog. The Big Guy knew I was going to need her - and that she was going to become a big part of our little family.




So there you have it. That's why my dog deserves a blog post about her birthday.

Happy birthday, Somer Dog! You drive me crazy and wear me out every day, but you also bring me so much comfort and happiness. I love your ten second snuggles and your kisses that are few and far between. I love when you chase your tail and pretend to roll over for treats. I love when you try to act like a big dog at the park and try to protect the tiny dogs. You're smart and silly and annoying and a huge mooch and I love you so much. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment