Sunday, January 6, 2013

Blast From The Past

Today is a sad day.  My oldest friend told me that her mom is moving out of the house that she grew up in.  It might sound strange that I would be upset about that, but I spent a great deal of my childhood in that house too.

Chelsey and I became best friends on the first day of kindergarten.  We rode the same bus and shared the same assigned seat.  Our first conversation went something like this...

"Hi, want to be my best friend?"

"Yes!"

It was destiny.  

We were lucky to live less than a mile from each other.  From kindergarten until sophomore year of high school, we were basically inseparable.  We rode the same bus and were in the same classes through elementary and middle school.  In high school, we took turns driving to school, had similar schedules, had the same summer job and spent all of our free time together.

When my mom and I moved to Saint Henry with Jim and sold the house I grew up in, it was hard.  It was harder to switch schools and start over.  The hardest thing was leaving my friends.  

I have always been able to visit and stay with Chelsey and feel at home.  I think that's why her mom moving is so significant to me.  Both of the homes I grew up in are different now.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that "home is where your mom is," and I am lucky to be able to call Saint Henry my home now.  It's just hard to admit that life goes on and everything changes.

I will always cherish the memories that were made in the house that Chels grew up in.  I will always feel nostalgic when driving past on the way to visit my grandparents.  

There are some things that never change.





0 comments:

Post a Comment