Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Name Game

So I have been really back and forth about changing my name ever since Tyler asked me to marry him.  Don't get me wrong, I have always known that I would do it, I was just back and forth on how I felt about it.

I mean, your name is your identity.  I have been Morgan Janelle Passmore since day one.  In fact, the only part of my mom getting remarried that I struggled with was my mom and I no longer sharing the same last name.  I know it might sound silly, but it was really hard for me.  I felt like a name meant so much.

It's strange to think about becoming someone new.  It's strange to think about things like practicing a new signature and introducing myself as "Morgan Post."

Then on Thanksgiving, Tyler's Aunt Brenda text his mom and asked for my birthday and how old I'll be, because she wanted to add it to the Post calendar, which is handed out every year at the Christmas party.  That same weekend, his cousin Alisha excitedly told me that next year I can go on the annual Post shopping trip (which I hear is a hoot and a half!).  So I started thinking, maybe it won't be so bad to be a Post.

And then the other day while I was getting ready, I was sitting on my bed blow drying my hair, and I said "Morgan Janelle Post," out loud.  And I realized how much I love it.  You can call a spade a heart, but it's still a spade.  And my name may change, but I will still be me.

And hey, at least my initials won't change.  You know, so I won't have to throw out all of my monogram towels and stuff.

2 comments:

Kaylee said...

Morgan I have had this conversation with a lot of people. I think that you are looking at it the way you should be :) Changing your name may be a hassle at first but in the end, it does signify joining another family (although I will admit that sometimes I wish it was the man joining the wife's family). Plus, if you ever have children (hint*hint*nudge*nudge) you might want to share their last name.

heyitskylie13 said...

Your final comment was my favorite part of this post. Hahaha. Anyways, I'm glad you're happy with your feelings about it now...I think Morgan Post sounds quite wonderful :)

Post a Comment