Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Goodbye For Now, Columbus

I've been so caught up in the excitement of buying a house and moving back home that I haven't really had the chance to think about what I'll miss about Columbus. Tonight as I was taping up the last of the boxes, I realized that saying goodbye to this crazy college town would be harder than I thought.

Fortunately, I am still working in Columbus a couple of times a week, so it will be more like "see ya later" than goodbye. But I think it's going to be different to be a visitor in this place that I've called home for the last five years.

This place will always have a special place in my heart. I'll always be a Buckeye and I'll always hold my years here in high regard.

The Shoe will always be the place where I promised Tyler that I would be his best friend forever and the place where I finally got my hands on that piece of paper I that I worked so hard for.


Oakland Avenue will always be the first place that I lived without my mom. It will always be the place that I spent lots of homesick nights wondering what I was going to do with my life.


The house on Indianola - the one that I can't believe is still standing - will always be the place that holds the most memories from my college experience. It's where my roommates became my friends and then my family - both figuratively and literally!


Scarlet and Grey will always be the best place to drink beer with folks from Mercer County on game days.

Somerset will always be the place where Tyler and I first lived together, where we added sweet Somer Girl (see what we did there?) to our family and where we spent our first year of marriage figuring things out along the way.

Columbus is more than where I went to college and started my career. It's where I fell in love with the boy who I eventually married. It's where I met so many people who have had an impact on my life and who I will miss dearly. It's where I grew up and figured out who I wanted to be.


So... It's goodbye, for now, Columbus. But I'll be back soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment