Thursday, February 14, 2013

Throwback Thursday

Happy Valentime's Day! While I don't believe it's necessary to devote a special day to showing someone how much they mean to you, I don't believe dessert is necessary either... That doesn't mean that both aren't nice. :)

So, anyway, have a great day with your significant other, or with your family or with your friends! Be thankful that you have people to love and that you have people to love you back, no matter what the relationship is.

I decided I want to start doing some #ThrowbackThursday posts, but with a different approach. Have you ever heard an older song on the radio or on your iPod and felt super nostalgic because of where the song takes you? It happens to me all the time (probably because, much to all of my passengers' dismay, I always have the radio in my car on scanning mode). I always think about texting the person who shared the memory with me or the person who the song makes me think of, but then I feel silly. Or I forget. So I have decided I am going to keep those instances in mind for Thursdays and share them with everyone. Well, everyone who reads this. So, okay, maybe a couple of people.

So, here you have it.

Tyler Valentime's present got lost in the mail (frustrating). Well, not really lost, but misplaced for awhile, so I had to pick it up at a UPS customer service center on the far west side of Columbus. On my way there, scanning as usual, Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive," came on the radio. I got that goosebumpey feeling and cranked up the volume.

I don't know how many of you are fans of Rock Band, but this song is one of my favorites to sing and that game is how I learned all of the words. Every time I hear it, it brings back a few specific memories.

First of all, when I was a junior in high school, Rock Band was the coolest thing ever. Everyone had it, so my friends and I usually ended up playing it at someone's house every weekend. I always remember my friend Whitney singing this song and killin' it. So, I always think of her when Bon Jovi blares through my speakers.

My next Rock Band memory is coming home from school on a Friday afternoon, probably still my junior year, to find my parents drinking beers and playing rock band and grabbing a guitar. Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em right? Looking back on it now, I realize I have the coolest parents ever.

Finally, my mom, two of her closest friends and I are going to see Bon Jovi in concert on Sunday, March 10 at Nationwide Arena. I planned the outing and bought my mom's ticket as her Christmas gift. (I guess I get being cool from her.) I have no doubt that the next time I hear "Wanted Dead or Alive," on the radio, I will have some memories to add to the list. I'm sure that some of them will make me laugh so hard I'll want to pee my pants (I'm looking at you Jenny and Heather). Can't wait!

Do you have any memories associated with Bon Jovi? Do you get that feeling when you hear an old song? Or do you think I'm crazy?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Get ready!! It will be one for the record books no doubt! Love that you planned this and can't wait to spend the time with you all.:)

Post a Comment